Enhance Contours and Confidence with Breast Augmentation
Technically known as augmentation mammoplasty, breast augmentation is a surgical procedure offered at Jain Plastic Surgery in Columbus, GA, that uses saline or silicone implants to enhance the size and shape of a woman’s breasts for a number of reasons:
- To enhance the body contour of a woman who feels her breast size is too small
- To restore breast volume lost due to weight loss or following pregnancy
- To achieve better symmetry when breasts are moderately disproportionate in size and shape
- To improve the shape of breasts that are sagging or have lost firmness (often performed in conjunction with a breast lift)
- To provide the foundation of a breast contour when a breast has been removed or disfigured by surgery to treat breast cancer
- To improve breast appearance or create the appearance of a breast that is missing or disfigured due to trauma, heredity, or congenital abnormalities
Adult women of any age can benefit from the enhancement that breast implants provide. It is usually recommended, however, that a woman’s breasts are fully developed prior to placement of breast implants. Women who are emotionally mature and understand the recovery process and limitations to the procedure are usually very pleased with their results. In fact, many patients experience a boost in self-confidence following surgery as they begin to appreciate their new, fuller appearance.
Patients should be aware that even though breast implants are guaranteed by their manufacturers to last a lifetime, future surgery may be required to replace one or both implants. Accordingly, regular examinations to evaluate the condition of your implants are important whether you have chosen saline or silicone breast implants.
Finally, whether you choose to have breast implants or not, it is essential to your health that you practice a monthly breast self-exam and schedule regular diagnostic breast screenings.
Understanding Breast Implants
Breast implants are medical devices made with a solid silicone shell. The implant shell may be filled with either saline solution (sterile salt water) or silicone gel – both of which have been approved for safe use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
The size of a breast implant is measured in cubic centimeters (CCs) based on the volume of the saline or silicone filler.
In addition to filling type and size, breast implants vary by a few other features:
- Texture: the implant shell may be smooth or textured
- Shape: the implant may have a round profile or one that is anatomic (a teardrop or tapered shape)
- Profile: the implant may have a low, medium or high projection (the depth of the implant from the base to the highest point of the implant curve)
- Diameter: the width of the implant measured across its base (the side of the implant that will be positioned over the chest wall)
The choice of implant is based on your breast anatomy, body type and your desired increase in size. Your age, lifestyle, goals and personal preferences, as well your surgeon’s recommendation, are also determining factors.
Visualizing Your Breast Augmentation Results Before Surgery
Jain Plastic Surgery, P.C. is the only practice in Columbus, GA that uses VECTRA 3D Aesthetic Simulation Technology. This incredible technology allows women to visualize their post-surgery breasts before ever walking in to an operating room. The realistic images VECTRA provides allow the patient and Dr. Jain to define in precise detail the size and shape of the breasts each woman desires.
The VECTRA experience begins with a 3D photo session during which we capture images of your pre-surgery breasts. Then, using special simulation software on your 3D picture, Dr. Jain will be able to show you the potential results of your breast augmentation surgery. You will be able to preview different looks until you find the appearance you like best. This final, chosen simulation will become the basis for your surgical plan.
If you prefer a more private method to visualize potential augmentation results, we recommend trying the rice test. The rice test illustrates how to use panty hose and rice at specific measurements to visualize how your breasts might look at different sizes.
This doctor has made my breast cancer journey a lot easier. Dr Jain is very professional, informative and always takes his time to listen to his patients. He has a wonderful and caring staff as well. I am very satisfied with his work and will recommend him to anyone.Maria B.